How to become a Reflexologist

The student professional therapist must attend a course that offers at least the minimum standards of training, which include the following seven elements:

1. Principles and Practices of Complementary Therapies

2. Knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology and Pathologies

3. Provide Reflexology

4. Health and Safety and Hygiene for Complementary Therapies

5. Knowledge of Less Common Pathologies for Complementary Therapies

6. Business Practice for Complementary Therapies

7. Reflective Practice for Reflexology

The seven elements guiding Reflexology Professional Training have been agreed by the lead body in Reflexology the Reflexology Forum.

· The main course tutor should have at least five years experiences as a practising Reflexologist

· Support tutors should have at least three years’ experience as a practising Reflexologist

· All tutors should hold a recognised teaching qualification

· Support tutors may be working towards a teaching qualification

· Students will be guided on how to achieve learning outcomes

· Courses will be internally and externally assessed

· Students will be guided on the evidence that needs to be produced for assessments

· Students will need to set aside between ten and twelve hours a week for home study


Examination Board/Awarding Body

Two types of awarding bodies exist for Complementary Therapy

a. National and International Awards conducted by Awarding Bodies that offer examinations/assessments to meet the exacting criteria for the Complementary Therapy subject offered in schools, colleges and universities that are not seeking government funding to support them in offering courses. These awarding bodies will generally require the course provider to offer training above the minimum set standard

b. Awarding Bodies listed on the National Framework. These Awarding Bodies are subject to inspection in order to ensure that government money sought by and allocated to the education establishment, is spent wisely.

Following is a list of Schools, Colleges and Universities in the UK which provide the approved IFR City and Guilds or IFR IEB awards.